Today marks the last major numerical date using the Gregorian or Christian calendar for almost another century. The next time three numbers will align as they did on 9-9-09, 10-10-10 and 11-11-11 will be on Jan. 1, 3001, or 1-1-1. It also marks a new day for the Holy See as Pope Benedict XVI sent out his first, long-anticipated, Tweet with the push of a button on an iPad. His pearls of wisdom: “How can faith in Jesus be lived in a world without hope?” And what a special day it is.
All this has stirred up talk of a doomsday and Armageddon-like finale, with just nine days to go before the Mayan calendar hits the end of its 5,000-year cycle. Superstitious ramblings of the end have even sparked some odd and eerie behavior in other countries prompting NASA to release a Mayan calendar “told ya so” video (NASA releases Mayan calendar ‘told ya so’ video 10 days early | Crave – CNET) in an attempt to quell any looming fears.
So let’s take a look at the lighter side of this enchanted figure and see the positive (no pun intended) in the number 12. Here are 12 fun facts about this :
- The Beatles released a total of 12 studio albums
- Only 12 people have ever walked the moon (12.13.2012 will the mark the 40th anniversary of which the men on Apollo 17 took humanity’s final steps on the moon)
- 12 is the atomic number of magnesium on the periodic table of elements
- There are 12 pairs of ribs in the human body
- There are 12 cranial nerves in the human body
- In English, 12 is the largest number that has just one syllable
- The 12 ‘ Jyotirlingas’ represents the epitome of the God Shiva in Hindu Shaivism
- Most computers have 12 function keys (i.e. F1, F2, etc.)
- In the bible Jacob had 12 sons who were the progenitors of the Twelve Tribes of Israel
- There were 12 apostles
- King Arthur’s round table had 12 Knights including himself
- The Dozenal Societies of America and Great Britain are devoted to…you guessed it!
One numerologist says the number 12 is associated with enjoyment, emotions, creative expression, sadness, rejuvenation and rebirth. Let’s face it. If something’s bound to happen, there’s nothing we can do to stop it. So skeptics and believers alike, rejoice! You have nine days (not 12!) to find out…